that song in my head

that song in my head

Monday, September 27, 2010

Madame Blueberry

Jude is obsessed with this Veggie Tales DVD called Madame Blueberry. It's about this blueberry who has lots of stuff, but can't be happy because all she wants is more. She even has pictures of all her neighbor's things that she wants...or thinks she needs to be happy. She goes to "Stuff Mart" (which strangely reminds me of IKEA...) and starts buying all these things to be "happy." She comes across a little boy who doesn't get what he wants at the store, but is happy anyway, because he knows that a thankful heart is a happy heart...or so the song goes. In the end she realizes that she wants a thankful heart and asks the salesmen what aisle it's on. Much to their dismay, they have to confess that she can't find a thankful heart at Stuff Mart.

This little show makes me (obviously) think about our society...how much pressure there is to have more...pardon me...crap. That's exactly what it all is. We all strive to have whatever the hottest celebrity has, but look at how many of them end up in some kind of rehab because they turned to drugs, alcohol, or sex because all the stuff in the world couldn't make them happy.

God has tremendously blessed me. I need to keep in mind that while he has provided me with a good job and income, my job in life is not to provide myself with all the things that I desire, but to love Him and love others.

Em

1 comment:

  1. Is it easier for us to say that we don't need "stuff" when we are comfortable? Could we give it all up to serve Him? I was just talking to Joe about this very thing yesterday.

    ReplyDelete